Atom, Apio, and TinyFPGA BX tools build error [SOLVED]

I was trying to get everything running on OSX 10.11.6 and can’t get the blink_project to build. I get the error:

[Fri Jul 13 20:30:49 2018] Processing TinyFPGA-BX

yosys -p “synth_ice40 -blif hardware.blif” -q top.v
scons: *** [hardware.blif] Error -4
========================= [ ERROR ] Took 1.59 seconds =========================

I have looked and can’t figure our what error “-4” is. Has anyone seen this? Do I need to starting asking questions at the yosys or scons sites?

What I have installed is:
Python 2.7.10
Python 3.6.5
Atom 1.28.1 x64
apio, version 0.4.0b3
icestorm 1.11.0-beta
iverilog 1.2.0
scons 3.0.1
system 1.1.0
verilator 1.0.0

FYI, for even more version numbers, when I do a “pip install -U apio” I get:

Requirement already up-to-date: apio in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (0.4.0b3)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: semantic-version>=2.5.0 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from apio) (2.6.0)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: pyserial<4,>=3 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from apio) (3.4)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: requests<3,>=2.4.0 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from apio) (2.19.1)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: pyjwt<2,>=1.5.3 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from apio) (1.6.4)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: colorama in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from apio) (0.3.9)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: click<7,>=5 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from apio) (6.7)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: urllib3<1.24,>=1.21.1 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests<3,>=2.4.0->apio) (1.23)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: idna<2.8,>=2.5 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests<3,>=2.4.0->apio) (2.7)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: chardet<3.1.0,>=3.0.2 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests<3,>=2.4.0->apio) (3.0.4)
Requirement not upgraded as not directly required: certifi>=2017.4.17 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests<3,>=2.4.0->apio) (2018.4.16)

Thanks,
Eric

@JesusArroyo, is this error from APIO or yosys?

It was all the text from the “apio build” window. I assume yosys was using scons and the error happened there.

If I use the command line “apio build” in the blink_project directory (From the setup instructions at https://tinyfpga.com/bx/guide.html), I get the same thing.

Eric

Using verbose flags I get:

$ apio build --verbose-yosys
[Fri Jul 13 21:27:56 2018] Processing TinyFPGA-BX

yosys -p “synth_ice40 -blif hardware.blif” top.v

Yosys 0.8-dev (Apio build) (git sha1 bc63d80, clang 8.1.0 -fPIC -Os)

– Parsing top.v' using frontendverilog’ –

1. Executing Verilog-2005 frontend.
    ========= [ ERROR ] Took 1.09 seconds =========

and

$ apio build --verbose-arachne
[Fri Jul 13 21:28:41 2018] Processing TinyFPGA-BX

========= [ ERROR ] Took 1.44 seconds =========

Can you zip up the whole directory and post it here? I know it’s he blinky example, but it will help to have exactly the same files you have.

Here is the zip of the example I tried building:

blink_project.zip (23.9 KB)

FWIW I was able to build and upload this without changes via Atom + Apio on Windows 10. I realize this isn’t the same as your OSX platform, but it suggests the problem is likely specific to the tool installation rather than the project itself.

Hi. Could you execute in the terminal yosys -p “synth_ice40 -blif hardware.blif” -q top.v directly to check if the output contains more information about the error?

Thanks.

From the command line, I get:

Illegal instruction: 4

I did find some comments about “Illegal instruction: 4” on redit talking about dylib issues.

I did notice that my version of clang is:
clang --version
Apple LLVM version 7.0.2 (clang-700.1.81)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
Thread model: posix

and that icestorm was compiled with 8.1.0. Do I need to build icestorm from sources if this is a dyld issue on osx? Are older versions of icestorm available through apio install ?

Ok, I got atom/apio/yosys building working on MacOS El Capitan 10.11.6. It looks like it was a clang dylib version issue. When icestorm was built locally it works.

1. I uninstalled python 3.6

2. Installed brew (/usr/bin/ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”).

3. Downloaded toolchain-icestorm-1.11.0-beta source, extracted, and used build.sh to build for darwin (from https://github.com/FPGAwars/toolchain-icestorm/releases)

4. All build dependencies (including python 3.7) were installed via brew.

5. Removed old ~/.apio/packages/toolchain-icestorm

6. Copied toolchain-icestorm-1.11.0-beta/_packages/build_darwin/toolchain-icestorm to ~/.apio/packages

7. Reinstalled apio with: pip3 install --upgrade --no-cache-dir apio==0.4.0b3 “tinyprog>=1.0.10” (it was removed with python 3.6).

8. Started atom, and built the blink_project. No fatal errors.

Now I have to get the board to connect.

Nice work!

This post should help you get ‘tinyprog’ to connect if you are having problems: