Can't create serial port (MacOS) [SOLVED]

So I modified tinyprog/init.py get_ports() to just dump everything usb.core.find() can give out, and it did not list 1d50:6130 at all.

I plugged in a FTDI board I had and it’s product ID did show up after I disconnected the tiny bx. Also, the FTDI board shows up as device class 0x0 (Unspecified).

Does osx need a kext/driver for this board in order to do anything with it as a “Communications Device”? I have never programmed anything for USB before so I certainly don’t know.

You’re close, but that’s not quite the issue. Modify the following lines from tinyprog/__init__.py:

# MacOS is not playing nicely with the serial drivers for the bootloader
    if platform.system() != "Darwin":
        # get serial ports first
        ports += [SerialPort(p[0]) for p in comports() if device_id in p[2].lower()]

Change it to:

# MacOS is not playing nicely with the serial drivers for the bootloader
    if True:
        # get serial ports first
        ports += [SerialPort(p[0]) for p in comports() if device_id in p[2].lower()]

There’s a specific version of MacOS that changed this behavior. Earlier versions attach the correct driver, later versions refuse to attach the driver. I need to track down the exact version and automatically do this.

So what versions MacOS do work with tinyprog? El Capitan (10.11.6) doesn’t seem to work with tinyprog 1.0.17 either. I was able to use Vmware+Windows7+tinyprog and that does work, but is very slow on my 10+ year old iMac.

If it doesn’t work without any command line options then use the —pyserial option. I’m still trying to figure out exactly which versions of MacOS require pyserial and which ones require libusb.

So I tried getting some debug info out of libusb with:

export LIBUSB_DEBUG=4
tinyprog -l

And there was much debug output. The interesting line was:

[73049344.000000] [00000a0b] libusb: warning [darwin_cache_device_descriptor] could not retrieve device descriptor 1d50:6130: transaction timed out (e0004051). skipping device

After some googling, e0004051 looks like it’s a “Bulk Read Error”.

Is there any other suggestions on getting tinyprog to see the BX board under OSX El Capitan?

Did you try running with “tinyprog -l —pyserial”?

That --pyserial doesn’t work either.

The only thing that worked was using Windows 7 instead. The board shows up right away and it can be programmed, so I do have a work around.

Hi @lukevalenty. Using libusb is a great idea, but I prefer to solve serial interface issues in MacOS because there are other boards also using serial interfaces.

I found this installer for MacOS: https://github.com/adrianmihalko/ch340g-ch34g-ch34x-mac-os-x-driver. @eglinz could you try installing this driver and executing “tinyprog -l --pyserial”? The Arduino community uses this installer to setup serial drivers on https://github.com/adrianmihalko/ch340g-ch34g-ch34x-mac-os-x-driver/blob/master/CH34x_Install_V1.3.pkg. If this works for you I’ll include it in the apio drivers command. Thanks.

Update: also found https://github.com/mgp25/USB-Serial-Drivers-macOS