Tri-state pin not working

I’m attempting to run two of my pins in tri-state inout mode. It didn’t work so I began narrowing down the problem. The test case below does not run correctly.

pin12 has an internal pullup and is connected to ground via a button
PIN_4, the tristate pin is connected to an active low LED for the test case

assign PIN_4 = pin12 ? 1 : 0;

The above code successfully turns the LED on when the button is pressed, and off when it’s not. However…

assign PIN_4 = pin12 ? 0 : 0'bz;

causes the LED to always be on, and

assign PIN_4 = pin12 ? 1 : 1'bz

also causes the LED to always be on (in active-high configuration)

I thought tri-state operation was possible due to this post, but it is strangely not working for me. I’m using the standard toolchain setup.

Any help would be appreciated

First of all, 0'bz should be 1b'z - otherwise you are creating a 0-bit-wide signal.

It would also be worth looking at nextpnr if you are currently using arachne-pnr, and also ensuring that you are on latest git Yosys.

Ok I’m working on setting up the toolchain in the non-apio configuration. Hopefully nextpnr will fix the tristate problem when I run it tomorrow. I was going to setup nextpnr sometime anyway to use that cool routing viewer.

Oh, another interesting thing, the following code correctly creates a floating pin

assign PIN_4 = pin12 ? 1'bz : 1'bz;

I also changed PIN_4 from inout to output to see if it fixed it, it didn’t.

If anyone else can recreate this then a bug report should be necessary, for which package I have no idea.

Also, when will we see apio support for nextpnr? Apio makes things so much easier!

Looking at this some more, I think it is a width/sign extension issue, as “1” is a 32-bit rather than 1-bit number.

Switching to

assign PIN_4 = pin12 ? 1'b0 : 1'bz;

or

assign PIN_4 = pin12 ? 1'b1 : 1'bz;

should hopefully fix things.