USB Communication

The intention is to gain access to the USB port in regular designs for GPIO and other needs. It seemed so sad to not be able to use the USB port in this way…

The resulting port is only a USB 1.0 Full Speed port, if I understand correctly, so 1.5MB/s is the theoretical limit. I have yet to push it really hard, but the bootloader (upon which the serial code is based) is pretty quick and reports 145kB/s - and it has other stuff to do beyond just transferring.

One other thing to know, is that it has been working in other weird clock setups. For example, one of my examples seems to run well when I set the (solitary) PLL to 96 or 192MHz and just divider the clock down to 48MHz. This gives some flexibility to do data acquisition at the higher frequency, as long as you’re quick.

@lawrie.griffiths, the original adapter of the bootloader to the USB SERIAL context may have other thoughts too.

Full speed is actually 12mbit/second. That’s the speed the USB bootloader operates at. It is actually limited by the write speed of the SPI flash itself. Using the USB core without the SPI interface should be able to get good performance.

I have a board design with a parallel ADC interface that pushes data out at a rate of 70mbit/s. I can divorce this board from it’s DSP companion to capture raw data in alternative ways. I like the idea of trying the tinyBX to do this because it is small and lightweight. Is the BX hardware capable of USB2.0 ‘high speed’ or a limit between ‘full speed’ and high? If it is capable of higher speed, then would a solution be possible with a python interface? I understand that python isn’t optimal for this type of application but I would only need 10~100ms blocks of data at a time.

I think 12Mbps (1.5MBps) is likely to be the upper limit for the USB system on the board as it is.

If you can do some processing on the board that results in less data you might be OK. Is there some filtering needed? Could you do a 1bit-style adaptation?

You could strap on one of the USB 2.0 FTDI modules in FIFO mode (480Mbps) but then, maybe you’d be better off connecting the FTDI and the ADC directly.

it’s 40bit parallel interface from three ADCs all synchronized to one ADC clock and then framed into 4k size packets that are synchronized to a framing clock. Which brings us back to hooking the ADC interface to an FPGA then hooking the FPGA to a USB PHY.